Sunday, 18 January 2015

Week 1 with the new boat.

When I was making coffee this morning the roof tops were covered in snow. It melted by sunrise, but there was still a freezing wind gusting in from the north.

I went out for a walk along the cliffs to the sound of a crashing sea and the sight of loads of birds sheltering from the inclement weather; I really should have taken a camera with a decent lens.  Fly was feeling the cold too. She normally charges through puddles but today she was a little more restrained.

So yet again I gave up on plans to go for a cycle but I did get a couple of jobs started on the new boat.

Stuart came along and the first task was to find the key which I had lost! Then I chiseled off a corroded old bolt to free the companionway steps which allowed me to re-fit the table. This gave me a work surface to start the more fiddly tasks. The lump of alloy in the above pic is the mast foot which tore out of the mast. The bolts and stud work show absolutely no sign of coming out without risking major damage to the alloy.

So my plan is to add an aluminium band around the bottom of the mast, drill new holes for the studs and then rivet the whole lot together (after re threading the halyards). I may be able to tap a new thread for the bolt at the back of the mast or I might look into fitting a riv-nut. First thing was to get the mast to where I can work on it, so up onto our shoulders and off we headed to the sailing club.

This is also where the outboard will need to undergo a rebuild. The cover looks a mess but inside was surprisingly clean and lubed.

Hopefully a decent service, carb clean, new impeller and gearbox oil, and it might be a runner. There seems plenty of compression but the tell tale looks a bit salted up.
I also checked out the gas stove on the Sona, but it was far too corroded for my liking. I'll give mechanics or low voltage electrics a shot, but I don't mess around with gas. So that's going to require a replacement before I can get the first coffee brewed on board.  All in all, it looks an achievable project, if I just didn't have the inconvenience of having to go to work during the week.


  1. Having been on the receiving end of two mast feet problems I feel for you.. your break looked very similar to mine.... one possible option would be to take the mast foot to a fabricator and get them to weld a lip to fit inside the mast?? Like this...

    1. The lip welded on to the foot looks possible. ( That's a sentence I never thought I'd type.) I'll take some more measurements for the halyard clearances.

  2. It looks like yachts are more complicated than bicycles, and I'd certainly be overwhelmed. But your "can do" and systematic attitude are admirable. I'll be watching with interest..and wishes for your good fortune.

    1. Thanks for the kind comments Chris. Coastkid is familiar with some of my past projects and I'm sure he would confirm that I'm never one to let a lack of engineering skills get in the way of enthusiasm.